Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Rock bucket

It's just sad that hard core rock music has lost its way in today's airplay... But the good thing is, we can still listen to good old rock music using our players. I love buying original CDs of my favorite rock artists. I don't know what's on your bucket but if you'd ask me, it's definitely filled with rock albums! I thought perhaps I'd list what I believe are the top 5 must have rock albums (original release)...

5. Red Hot Chili Peppers Californication album


 I love Red Hot Chili Peppers because though they are not a heavy metal band, they're simply cool. Topless Flea, the bass player, another topless Anthony Kiedis and a whole bunch of LSS-prone songs. I particularly like their classics - Aeroplane, Under the bridge, and Give it away. But in terms of albums, I'd say that Californication is a must have. It's one of RHCP's contemporary albums which proved that they can stand the test of time. Californication gave the world hits like Californication, Scar tissue, Other Side, Around the world, and Parallel Universe. It has been named as one of the top must have albums in several musical publications as well.


4. Pearl Jam Ten album

Pearl Jam's music is a must listen over the radio. My favorite Pearl Jam song is in fact just a cover they did of Wayne Cochran haunting song, Last Kiss. But I think very few, if none at all, remembers Wayne's version. Eddie Vedder's voice made the song even more haunting. However, the must have album of Pearl Jam has got to be their Ten album. Ten produced hits like Evenflow, Alive, Oceans, and the classic Jeremy. Of course they have other famous songs but this album produced the classics. The album also had commercial success.
 
3. Guns n' Roses Appetite for Destruction album

 Guns n' Roses what can I say? GNR is on the top of my favorite rock bands of all time. Axl Rose, Slash, Duff, Matt... I will spend huge amounts of money if I can see them play together again but I'm sure it will never happen... so why Appetite for Destruction? Sweet Child o' mine is an immortal hit. If only to hear that song, you have to have this GNR album. Slash's Sweet Child o' mine guitar riff inspired millions of guitar players all over the world. But Appetite for Destruction has so much more to offer apart from Sweet Child. The entire album is a great playlist. I personally like all the songs in this album but for those that are not GNR fans, at least you have to listen to the other big hits that this album produced, i.e., My Michelle, Mr. Brownstone, Paradise City, and another GNR classic, Welcome to the Jungle.
 
2. Nirvana Nevermind album

Nirvana made grunge mainstream. It's just too bad that Kurt Cobain was gone too soon. Today's generation needs to have distinct and remarkable musicians. My generation is just lucky that while we were growing up, we enjoyed really good music. But don't fret, today's generation can still listen to Nirvana songs and they have to have the Nevermind album. For one, I think that the album cover is one of the best album covers ever made. It's simply brilliant. Aesthetics aside, Nevermind album produced Nirvana classics like Lithium, In Bloom, Come as you are, and the generation-defining classic "Smells Like Teen Spirit."  
 
1. Metallica black album

So finally, the top must have rock album - Metallica black album. You are not a rock fan if you don't listen to Metallica. Metallica led the pack of heavy metal rock bands and should you listen to Metallica, you have to listen to Metallica's iconic black album. To me, the simple cover is actually the best cover ever for me. It's simple, raw but classic - exactly what rock music is all about. To fans like me, the entire Black album is also a great playlist. But to non fans, I thought the Black album is worth listening as this is home to Metallica's greatest hits - Sad but true, Whenever I may roam, and Metallica's immortal 3, i.e., Nothing Else matters, The unforgiven, and Enter Sandman.


I am just glad and proud of the music I love but sad that music as great as theirs are very rare these days. But the good thing is we can all put it in our buckets and rock n roll all night!!!

No comments: