Sunday, March 10, 2013

The tattoo love story

Tattoo is roughly defined as ink in your skin. I'm no tattoo expert but I know a little history. Back in the days, chieftains and warlords have tattoos. They are marks of bravery and chivalry. They are marks of successful warriors. They tell a story... In the Philippines, back in the days and even until now, people still raise their eyebrows to some tattooed people. Some people say it's dirty while some people say it's scary. You ask me? Tattoos are nothing but wonderful. It's an expression. It's art. It's depth. It's memory.

A lot of girls dig tattooed men. There's a reason why they appeal to the ladies. It gives a very manly image to men. So allow me to share to you my top 5 most beautiful tattooed (famous) men...

5. Johnny Depp

Johnny Depp is probably the man with the least number of tattoos in this list. But boy isn't he just handsome? He has skull and crossbones tattoo on his right inner upper arm. He also has as simple as "3" between his index and thumb. Apparently, Johnny finds "3" magical. He has a swallow and Jack. The swallow signifies the his Pirates of the Caribbean character, Captain Jack Sparrow, and "Jack" is the name of his son. Reason behind? According to Johnny, the swallow flies towards him because "he should always fly back to you." My most favorite because it's a little bizarre is "Wino forever." When he was younger, the tattoo was made for his then girlfriend (or fiancee I'm not sure) Winona Ryder. It was then written as "Winona forever." However, when they split, he changed it to "Wino forever." Clever isn't it? That made it appealing to me. He is creative and his tattoos has depth.

4. Anthony Kiedis

Rockstars are mostly the ones with tattoos. This makes Anthony Kiedis a bona fide rockstar. Anthony has a heart wrapped around his left arm. Two chiefs are on both biceps. What's cool? Anthony reportedly got some of his tattoos including his iconic back tattoo (I'll describe in a bit) from an artist in Amsterdam. Anthony has a tiger which reportedly represents his Chinese birth sign and Thai tradition of tigers bringing longevity and protection to the wearer. One of my favorites is the asterisk in his right wrist. Asterisk is his band's (Red Hot Chili Peppers) logo. My second favorite is the symmetrical Celtic daggers on both his arms (shown in picture to the left). I love daggers and I especially like vintage daggers. I find it very manly on Anthony. My most favorite? His iconic back tattoo - an Inca/Aztec (a Mexican ethnic group) falcon but some people claim it is a Haida thunder bird.

3. Adam Levine

Another rockstar - Adam Levine! This man is hot!!!If  you've been following his band, Maroon 5 since the beginning, you should remember that he has a "clean" body before but now, he has turned into this seductive, artful inked man. So let's count it down. Adam has roses, wings and guitar all over his left arm. Cherry blossoms were also made as a remembrance of 9/11. On his right is a beautiful but dangerous (just like the man) tiger and a heart made for his mom. Cute! Right below his chest is an eagle while a shark is drawn in his ribcage. On his back is a pinup girl - what can we do? We love bad boys who love girls! Adam paid tribute to his hometown, Los Angeles by having it inked in his right shoulder. On his back is one of my favorites - a paw print with Frankie girl underneath. Frankie is reportedly the name of his golden retriever. Another favorite of mine is the script on his left chest. Reports say that it says "Maroon 5" in either Hindi or Sanskrit. Another favorite is the tattoo on his right chest which I can't describe but looks cool anyway... I also like 222 which is believed to be the door number of the very first studio where Maroon 5 recorded.

2. David Beckham



 So, Beck! There's a saying "bend it like Beckham." I say "tattoo it like Beckham." Both his arms are covered with tattoos. On his right wrist are roman numerals representing May 8, 2006. The date is said to be significant to the Beckhams. He also has a roman numeral 7 in his arm. 7 is the number of David's famous jersey. At the bottom of 7 is a Latin phrase "Perfectio in Spiritu" which means spiritual perfection. Perfect isn't it? On his right arm to his shoulder is an angel which he reportedly got after infidelity issues back in the days. I love scripts so one of my favorites is a Hebrew tattoo which means "I am my beloved." He has lots of script phrases. One reads "let them hate as long as they fear" while the other "pray for me" in English letters.

He also got roses, cupid and Psyche, and swallows. He also has "Love" on his left hand. What I love most in his tattoos - his expression of love for his family. He's got sexy Victoria, his wife, tattooed in his left arm. He also has Victoria in script. At his back is "Brooklyn," "Rocco," and "Cruz," his boys' names. on his left collar bone is "Harper," his daughter's name. My most favorite is the Chinese characters in his left ribcage which means "Death and life have determined appointments. Riches and honour depend upon heaven." Heavenly and meaningful, don't you think?

1. Brandon Boyd

Brandon Boyd, Incubus frontman, to me, is the most beautiful tattooed man. Why? His tattoos just like the rest of the men in this list have meaning and depth. The difference? Brandon's tattoos are carefully and strategically crafted in his body. His tattoos are scattered and do not crowd any of his body part. He has a tattoo of the Eye of Hours on his right ankle. My favorites include the tattoos of the names of his parents on his forearms. It's always nice to hear a man as successful as he is pay tribute to his parents. He also has an owl on his back and a picture inspired by Aubrey Beardsley's famous art "the peacock skirt" on his left arm. Another favorite of mine are the teardrop tattoos on both his index fingers. It's simple but meaningful and the index fingers are just perfect to house them.

One of my most favorite tattoo (of anyone) is Brandon's back tattoo - all seeing-eye embedded in a pyramid. It was reportedly inked after the release of Incubus' album "A crow left of the murder." I just love the all-seeing eye and how the tattoo spreads in his upper back. On his right arm also is a Tibetan mantra and a koi fish designed by his bandmate Jose Pasillas, Incubus' drummer. My most favorite tattoo of anyone is again one of Brandon's - that red script beautifully written on his right arm. The red script is reportedly a Buddhist mantra "Om mani padme hum" which means something like "hail the jewel in the lotus" but refers to the qualities of generosity, ethics, patience, diligence, renunciation and wisdom. Exactly my mantra! Talking about depth and design.


I love tattoos and I love tattooed people. I find them deep, sensible, and deceptively intellectual. My man has Brandon's Buddhist mantra tattoo - also in red. I can definitely say I fell in love with tattoos and I fell in love with a tattooed man. Who can't?



No comments: