Friday, March 29, 2013

Good tidings

It's holy week so I thought I should share that are all for good tidings. The first one was born out of a simple corporate social responsibility activity in my former company. I wanted to join but though I love music a lot, I don't think I can share a lot with kids when it comes to making music. So, the idea was to teach lesser fortunate kids in Manila how to play and make music. Now, the team has come up with a full band comprised of the kids they taught. Recently, Joss Stone (yes, Joss Stone) visited the kids and sang with them. I am both grateful and amazed that a person of her stature would come visit Manila, not to sing and earn money from a concert, but to help kids reach for their musical dreams. Now, that's a true artist... Here's a video you can watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bKHAnPGTBc

I am also very fortunate that I'm surrounded with great people. I have a friend who's now living in Hong Kong with her husband and child. She was the perfect girl for me - beautiful, well-off, intelligent and nice. When I first met her in college, I thought she's destined for greatness. On our first job, she was effortlessly cool despite hectic schedules and she still managed to teach! She was a licensure exam topnotcher by the way. After a few years, she went to Tokyo to work and I guess expand her horizons. After a few years, she went to London for graduate school. She also lived in New York for a few months as an exchange student. She and her world are expansive. Now, she ventured into another endeavor - this time, a very noble one. She spearheaded a worldwide scholarship program. She has the power to conquer the world and yes, she is - through selfless, noble intentions. Visit her organization's website and perhaps we can all help too.

http://www.myskolar.org/


So then I remember Joss Stone's song "tell me, what we're gonna do now?" Well, we can all work together for good causes and we can change lives... Advance happy Easter everyone!

No comments: