Monday, April 8, 2013

the Summer playlist

It's been awhile since I last wrote. Been swamped with a lot of things... So, I don't know how many people in the world are currently lucky or unlucky to be experiencing summer. In the Philippines, you can barely brave the sun. It's soooo hot! So I thought we should all chill, relax, and think of cool... And since I love lists.   Allow me to share my "cool" playlist...

- Kokomo by the Beach Boys

The singers is just so fit for summer, don't you all think? "Beach boys" That's where we all want to spend days as hot as this.Yes, there's a place called Kokomo - the song says. "Bodies in the sand, tropical drink melting in your hand, we'll be falling in love, to the rhythm of a steel drum band, down in Kokomo." And these are just lyrics. You've got to hear it - trust me it's cool.

- Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams

Alright, this song isn't hard rock. It isn't cool and easy either so why is it on the playlist? Because it says "summer." hahaha kidding aside, it's a great song - it makes everyone think of the best days of their lives. For Bryan, it's the summer of '69. "Oh when I look back now, that summer seemed to last forever, and if I had the choice, yeah I'd always want to be there, those were the best days of my life."

- Santeria by Sublime

Hey, this song is just way too cool not to be in this playlist. It has funk. It has a little (well, a lot) of angst but the melody is just so LSS-worthy and so fun to sing along with. Whenever I hear this song, I just want to lie down in the sand and grab a margarita or even a simple ice-cold beer!

- Entire 50 First Dates soundtrack

This movie is cool and its soundtrack - even cooler! It has loads of reggae and reggae-inspired music. I don't know about you guys but anything reggae is effortlessly cool. Thank you Bob Marley!

- Anything Bob Marley (see preceding entry for the explanation)




- Beer by Itchyworms

Apologies to non-Tagalog/Filipino readers. Itchyworms is a Filipino band and Beer is written in Tagalog. It talks about heartache - a lover left alone. Towards the end of the chorus, the singer asks "What do I really like better? This beer or your love?" Well, whatever you're going through in life during summer time, it's just great to have an ice cold beer!!!

- Swimming Beach by Parokya ni Edgar

Again apologies to the non-Tagalog/Filipino readers. Parokya ni Edgar is another Filipino band and Swimming beach is also written in Tagalog. It talks about... well - swimming and beach. Perfect for hot summer!

- Overdrive by Eraserheads

Eraserheads is dubbed as the "Beatles" of the Philippines. And "overdrive" talks about long drive which is great to do during summer or vacation breaks. If you listen to the song, you'll be acquainted with various places in the Philippines. It's the perfect summer anthem.

No comments: