Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Voice Season 3

I love music and in the past decade or so, I've come to love watching reality singing contests, American Idol, Rockstar, and the Voice. I watched all seasons of the Voice. What I like about the show is that contestants were pre-selected already, i.e., everyone really knows how to sing. In American Idol, I enjoyed watching the audition episodes because some really are just gutsy. In the Voice, however, everyone can sing. The four judge/merntors also produces a good deal of following. The four judge/mentors, Adam Levine, Ceelo Green, Christina Aguillera, and Blake Shelton are all accomplished singers. They came from different genres: Adam is of course, the front man of Maroon 5, a pop-rock band; Ceelo Green is into pop (the good one that is); Christina is also into pop but she's more into the diva kind of thing; and Blake Shelton is into country music. When I watch the show, I felt that the judges' commentaries are reasonable and really helpful to the contestants - I hear technical comments. The fact that they fight over a contestant also makes the show fun and interesting. When two or more judges turn their chairs to a contestant, the contestant needs to choose which judge/mentor he/she would like so the judge/mentors will throw their sales pich to win over the contestant. This season, Trevin Hunte's audition made Blake Shelton come over to Adam and asked, "what the hell is wrong with you" or something. All the judges except Adam turned their chairs when Trevin sang the belter song Listen by Beyonce.  

Also this season, when a contestant loses in the battle rounds, the other judges can steal and ask him/her to join his/her team instead. Adam stole Amanda Brown from Ceelo. During the first performance rounds, when asked to comment about Amanda's performance, Ceelo said, "you know you're my favorite mistake". I like Ceelo's play of words and subtle comedic spiels in the show. Adam once told (somewhere along these lines) Ceelo this season, "you used lyrics to comment. I like that". Ceelo replied, "well Adam, I'll try to call you on the payphone." Payphone is of course one of Maroon 5's 2012 hits. Ceelo is also crazy flamboyant. I don't necessary like his outfits but every week, I am eager to see what crazy outfit he would wear. He also brings animals - parrots, cats. Christina would always wear skimpy, body-hugging, cleavage-showing dresses. This season, she always brings a fan. I don't know why. I guess it's one of her fashion statement? I'm really not sure. But the funny thing is, among the four judges, she seems to be the oldest because almost everytime, she and other judges turn their chairs to contestant, she would be chosen especially by teen girls or 20-something girls because apparently they grew up listening to Christina or that she's their idol, etc.

Blake also has his comedic spiels. Sometimes, he's sarcastic, and I love it. He messes with Adam a lot. This season, he won Cassadee Pope from the other judges. During the knock out rounds, Cassadee sang Payphone and Adam commented, "Oh Cassadee, you broke my heart when you chose Blake over me. Now you broke my heart again because you sang my song." Adam would look like he's the lazy type but boy, the very first The voice winner came from his team, Javier Colon. When videos are shown on how the rehearsals and mentoring went, it would show Adam was hands on and he gives the same amount of mentoring the other judges do.

The contestants are unique as well. Most of them are not too commercial or mainstream like Melanie Martinez and Nicholas David. When Nicholas sang during the knock out rounds, Adam commented, "when I listen to you, I wanna make babies." You may wanna try watching the show, too. For this season, my bets are Trevin and Nicholas from Ceelo's team, Dez (boy band, hottie material) from Christina's team, Cassadee from Blake's team, and either Melanie or Bryan from Adam's team. Amanda should also be fine as long as she chooses the right songs. Catch it on NBC. In Asia however, it's shown in AXN.
 
 
 
 

No comments: